[Healeys] 3000 Mk III cloisonne front badge

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 11 21:08:02 MDT 2016

I would like to offer an option for those of you who would like a cloisonne
badge but due to cost and/or availability are contemplating re-painting
their badges.  I have attached a photo of my badge but I could not get it to
show what I wanted you to see.  I could see it with my eyes but the camera
didn't.

I found a product that was what I considered very close to the original
color but in addition had a clear appearance and a very small metal flake
content.  When freshly painted, I believe that you would have to look twice
and close up to see that it was not cloisonne.

The product is nail polish.  Scherer brand.  #56, Blackberry.  Purchased at
a Rite Aid pharmacy.  I can not assure you that this product is still
available.  I purchased it several years ago and I do not have time to
Google it for you..

I tape off everything except the lettering and the frames around the
lettering and spray paint the lettering, frames, and the background using a
craft type sprayer.  I then use a cloth with little or no nap with thinner
(acetone for nail polish?) applied, wraped around something that spans the
letters and frames, and remove the polish from the top surfaces.  The
lettering and the frames are the same height so you only touch the high
surfaces and do not touch the background.  Even using paint, I think the
process would be the same.

As with any product exposed to the weather and road grit, it will dull
eventually.  Having done it once, the next time is easier.

(The Other) Len
Fairfield, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031