[Healeys] Spokes & Tubes

rkeysor rkeysor at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 10 08:42:52 MDT 2016

While working for the Dayton Daily News as a reporter in 1963, I owned a BT7 with painted wires.  This car had been actively (on the track) drag raced by its previous owner, a law student from Cleveland.  It had a number of broken spokes.  Since I was in Dayton, I naturally took it to Dayton Wire Wheel, which I recall was actually in nearby Xenia at the time. I arrived noonish, and the only  person on hand, I believe, was the proprietor.  This man cut out all of the broken spokes (can't remember how many) and replaced and repainted them.  I think the charge for this was very modest.  The man also offered  to sell me a new set of Dayton wire wheels, saying that the design of the originals was inadequate for the power generated by Healey 3000 engine.  I don't know whether this is true, but when he showed me difference in design of the two wheels, his observation made sense.  I have replaced a few spokes on one wheel on of my BN7's chrome 60-spoke wheels, Dayton's, I assume. It's a tedious job, requiring, of course, the removal of the tire and also the removal of a couple of adjoining spokes to replace each broken spoke.  Though I am experienced at tensioning bicycle wheel spokes--I own the associated gear--I made no effort to true the replacement spokes.  I simply tensioned them as best I could. This car, then and now, runs down the road so perfectly--not a trace of cowl shake or anything--that I am afraid to even replace the now somewhat dated tires.