[Healeys] Overheating query

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 10:19:41 MDT 2016

Hi,

This isn't the usual one ...."my car always runs hot; what's the cure?" etc

No, this is my very own original.....

Background:-

1)      The car, MkII BT7, has never had overheating issues before today.

2)      It has a new, 12 month, modern design radiator.

3)      It has the correct type(original design) Smiths sleeved thermostat.
(5 years old +/-).

4)      The waterpump was in the car when I bought the car +/- 25 yrs ago.

Today's symptoms:-

1)      I took it out to the pub today and, on returning, I noticed that
there was HEAT and then that the gauge was off the scale.

2)      There was plenty of coolant in the rad and it didn't seem overly
hot.

3)      I didn't have much time, but I got the impression that the rad was
not blowing steam or making more of a "cooling-off noise" than usual.

4)      I also got the impression that the engine was hotter than the rad.

Is this typical of a failed water pump?

How can one differentiate between thermostat issues and waterpump issues?

Any ideas?

Simon