[Healeys] Steering box

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 02:43:58 MDT 2016

We had a thread about this quite recently. I was advised to use John Deere’s Cornhead Grease. Not that easy to find locally but I did get some. Haven’t got round to using it yet as I intend to drain the old stuff out first and that, I imagine, will be a messy and  slow affair.

Anyhow, while I was at the John Deere place, I was recommended their “special??” grease gun. It’s a decent looking well-made item. Importantly, It has a long flexible plastic/rubber coated tube on it, about 15” long. One can take the grease nipple adaptor off that and the end will, I guess, fit into the steering box filler hole. If not, one can hold it there as the gun has a one-handed pump action. I reckon it’ll get the thick goo into the box pretty easily. I’ve always found getting the heavy liquid oil in there to be an absolute pain in the proverbial.

Simon