[Healeys] Overdrive Question

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE YNOTINK at msn.com
Fri Oct 28 08:52:44 MDT 2016

If the oil in your transmission is boiling you have bigger problems than an oil leak, but not for long...

The vent is there to allow the oil (and air) to expand as it warms up without pressurizing the housing and to draw air back in as it cools. You may have a problem if the orifice is blocked or if it is too small, but for normal use I can't imagine that being the case. I suppose the breather may be located in the wrong place and allowing pressure to build in some inaccessible places.

I've seen extended breathers on four wheel drive vehicles, but that is too keep from pulling water into the housing during fording operations. In my Healey I always plan to use a bridge or ferry for water crossings.

Bill Lawrence

BN1#554