[Healeys] pressure

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Oct 24 11:05:13 MDT 2016

These days tire pressures are generally much higher than they used to
be, also for radial tires.
In the 60's-70's advised tire pressures for radial tires were much less
than today, 1,8-25psi was quite normal. These days however tire
pressures are nearly always higher than 28psi and sometimes as high as
45+ psi, depending on speed and load. I am not sure if this is caused by
the use of different materials/techniques or different insight but also
consider that modern cars are heavier.
For relatively light cars like a AH 30psi is perfect as a basis to
start, than just lower or raise the pressure with small amounts to find
the optimum. For reasonably light steering keep a minimum of 30psi in
the front tires, especially if you have wider section tires. There is no
sense to go beyond 40psi.
It is a question of ride comfort, steering effort and road holding
(understeer and oversteer) so play around with different pressures in
the front and the rear until you have found what works for you.
In most cars I use 30psi in the front and up to 45psi in the rear,
depending on the load and expected speed en route.
Kees Oudesluijs