[Healeys] Shift Shaft Buffer

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Nov 30 06:18:47 MST 2016

The buffer is essential. It prevents the 3/4 shift fork shaft from moving
too far forward and partially   releasing the detent balls in the gear hub.
When this happens the trans is stuck in gear and the only fix is to
dissemble the transmission. The buffer is roughly the hardness and the
thickness of linoleum tile. Aluminum sheet of the proper thickness would
also work. Glue the material to the bottom of the well in the bell housing.
All materials need to be oil tolerant. To be sure, install buffer, attach
bell housing and shift through the gears.

Herb Miller