[Healeys] su pumps again

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Nov 21 13:47:07 MST 2016

Today I overhauled my 42 year old SU fuel pump. Apart from an occasional
cleaning of the points with a rough bit of card board nothing had been
done to it in all those years and appr. 180.000 miles in various cars.
The pump itself had never been opened.

When I took every thing apart it was amazingly clean, no sediment,
grime, corrosion. And that after using lead free petrol with ethanol 5%
for most of these years.

Have a look at the pictures.

The job is surprisingly easy. There are several YouTube films showing
how it can be done, although they do over simplify. You need to clean
the points with 400grade wet&dry, then polish them with 2000 grade
flower paper. If they are to far gone you can renew this assembly.
Available at any SU supplier in the UK or through ebay. After
cleaning/replacing the disassembled points assembly you have to set two
gaps using feeler gauges at assembly: 0,035"/0,9mm for the points blade
over the flat surface of the Bakelite bridge and the lower edge of the
spring blade with points and 0,070" or 0,090"/ 1,9mm or 2,3mm (depending
on the source, I use 2,3mm) between the upper surface of the cast iron
body and the small sideways brass strip of the lower point assembly.

If all is clean, leave the valves and other parts alone, just remove the
diaphragm and check it. It is nearly always OK.

Lately I did about 11 SU pumps. All at least 40+ years old. Only two
were very dirty and/or corroded internally, one had some slight
yellowish sediment in it, only one diaphragm had to be replaced, only
one set of valves and seals had to be replaced, all points assemblies
were serviceable, one bridge was cracked but could be repaired using
Araldite, the same with one of the Bakelite top covers.

Kees Oudesluijs