[Healeys] Engine mountings

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 08:12:25 MST 2016

I read the emails regarding the delaminating of these mountings and,
allowing for inflation, even added my tuppence worth. Rather belatedly I
decided to look at mine as they weren't new when I bought the car back in
'96. And, naturally, there is bad news. The RHS (manifold side) mounting is
delaminating along its front edge, starting at the top and going about 20%
of the way down. See attached.

The other side of that mounting seems fine though it is practically
impossible to see and none of the other rubber bits on either side of the
engine are showing any signs of problems. So, it's only that one section.

What I propose to do is this:-

1)      Not panic as this seems to have been a gradual process and there is
no apparent reason why this process might speed up. I'm right to think
that???

2)      Replace ALL the rubber laminated parts of the mountings.....2 bits
on either side.

3)      Achieve all of this with minimal disruption ie without removing the
carbs (Webers) or exhaust manifolds though I concede that the centre one may
have to be loosened off. (Stainless big bore 6 branch). Certainly not going
to take the engine out. I see myself supporting the engine and even moving
it around fractionally with a couple of small trolley jacks.

4)      Do the LHS (dizzy) side first as it seems to be easier and I'll
hopefully learn a thing or two in the process.

So, how am I doing?

a)       I presume (ha!) it can be done per 3) above??? Can it?

b)      Are there any obvious "dos and don'ts"??

c)       I'm in the UK......are there any of our "usual suspects" whose
engine mounting rubber is less suspicious than others??

d)      Anything else I've missed?? There usually is!

Looking forward to your advice more than to the work involved,

Simon