[Healeys] Pistons

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE YNOTINK at msn.com
Tue Nov 15 22:49:47 MST 2016

Forged pistons are desirable for racing engines or those that are going to be operated at or above the manufacturer's rev limits. If you are going to be operating in the normal range for normal driving they may not provide an advantage. Burned, melted or holed pistons are more often related to combustion chamber conditions that cause excess heat or impede heat transfer. Proper ignition timing, air/fuel ratio and a reasonable compression ratio are critical.

After I holed two pistons I found that the cylinder head I had been using had been shaved by over 0.040" the combustion chambers were cut down to about 50cc and the compression ratio may have been over 10:1. The engine had even pinged on premium fuel and that or the imprecise timing or a combination of both had eventually caused the piston damage. It would not have mattered if I had spent $1000 on pistons.

Bill Lawrence

BN!#554