[Healeys] Overdrive Question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 07:57:00 MST 2016

As long as we're on the topic of lubricants (for autos ... get your mind out off the gutter ;)):

I just refreshed the Royal Purple Synchromax in my Mustang's gearbox. I first installed it at a couple thousand miles mileage; car now has about 122K miles. Synchromax was suggested by a Mustang guru when I asked the interwebs what would help what I thought was somewhat 'notchy' shifting; it indeed seemed to make shifts a little smoother. I know manufacturers now recommend not changing the oil in differentials and manual transmissions ever, or at least at very long intervals. I only changed the Mustang gearbox oil because, well, because of general principles. To my surprise--I wasn't expected this at all--the gearbox seemed to shift smoother. To me, this could indicate that, even in areas that don't get contaminated with combustion byproducts lubricants can be 'worn out.' I think synthetics are overall better--I can think of one specific exception, but it doesn't apply to autos--but they still need to be changed, probably due to heat and sheer forces breaking down the long chain molecules in the fluid. Also, the old oil was black, whereas the fresh oil has a purple hue (duh). Not sure why that would be--as there is no way for combustion byproducts to get into the gearbox--except possibly the silly dye used to color the oil might break down from heat and sheer forces.

FWIW.

Bob