[Healeys] SU Fuel Pumps

Bob Haskell rchaskell at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 5 10:00:58 MDT 2016

I think Burlen Fuel Systems is doing a good job supplying us with the
parts to rebuild original pumps and supplying new "replica" pumps.  The
new pumps can have points or be electronic.  The electronic pumps use a
hall effect system.

Two rebuilders in the US are Tom Ball in Akron Ohio and Dave DuBois in
Bremerton Washington -
http://userwebs.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/index.html.  Dave fits an optical
sensor to the pumps he rebuilds, but keeps the roll-over rocker
assembly, so the normal click click noise of the SU pumps is maintained.

The double or twin points have been used on most electric SU pumps for
the past 60 years.  Not sure Burlen sells the single point assembly any
longer.

I like the idea of points as when the pump stops it can sometimes be
coaxed back to life with a tap of the hammer on the foot board.  When
electronics fail, there's no coaxing them back to life on the side of
the road.  That said, I'm currently running a Facet sold state pump in
the tri-carb.  Have SU electric pumps in the MG and Mini and will fit a
LCS SU pump in the tri-carb.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 MkI registrar