[Healeys] Gearbox oil

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Nov 2 08:09:48 MDT 2016

What about the brass shifting forks? This is one of the more lucid explanations I've seen: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28958/ep-additives-effects

IMO, it's pretty hard to beat this stuff: https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7 I tried it because it seemed my OD was slower to engage when hot. I wasn't expecting it--so no confirmation bias--but I thought the gearbox shifted a little smoother, and the OD did engage a little quicker. Have used it for 60-80K miles or more (I really should keep track of this stuff). Not an objective analysis, but it appears there is less brass 'shake' suspended in the fluid at changes, and I only change it out every 50K miles or so.

On ATF in gearboxes: Ford calls for Mercon V in the Tremec 3650 in my Mustang. I thought shifts were a little notchy, so tried Royal Purple Synchromax on someone's recommendation. Seemed to help a bit; almost 122K miles on the gearbox with no issues.

Bob