[Healeys] Gearbox oil

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE YNOTINK at msn.com
Wed Nov 2 05:10:24 MDT 2016

EP lubes are formulated with an anti-friction additive especially for use in hypoid gear sets. That is because hypoid gears use a sliding contact rather than a rolling contact and the EP additive is required eliminate friction and to allow them to survive in use.

EP lubes should not be used in mechanisms that require built in friction to operate properly such as synchronizer rings in transmissions or limited slip differentials.

Detergents in oils are intended to suspend microscopic contaminants such as soot particles in engine oil so it doesn't settle out and form deposits in oil passages. I will not suspend large particles such as brass or iron filings.

Bill Lawrence

BN1#554