[Healeys] Gearbox oil

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 18:21:36 MDT 2016

30wt non detergent.

Drips? Hard to tell but I don't think so. Certainly no more than before.

Gear change/overdrive??......just about noticeable improvement on previous
20/50.

Better for the gearbox's internals? The jury remains out on that one!

Worth it? Well there's nothing earth shatteringly different. Do it if you're
draining anyhow. Or if you are having sluggish OD changes...might help.

Overall observations:- 1) make sure that you've got the filter and the
magnets. Doesn't make much difference what oil you use if they're missing.

2) Consider swapping the mad notched drain plug monstrosity for the earlier
one with the spanner/socket friendly hex. Once that's done, the whole
process becomes much easier.

Steve's right.....this topic is a real Golden Oldie.

You'll have noticed that threads related to the choice of oils brings out
some fairly spirited remarks!?

Simon