[Healeys] How about running ATF in your transmission?

Austin Healeys List austinhealeyslist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 15:08:10 MDT 2016

I ran atf in my not-Healey for about ten years and the box was
noisier, leaked more and took a long time to spin down to engage the
unsynchronised 1st gear. The synchro action on 2 and 3 is considerably
better though, particularly when cold. Went back to Redline
conventional transmission oil and it seems to be a better compromise.

The Tremec gearbox has a lot of large gears spinning over in there so
I'd imagine ATF has an advantage with reduced viscosity drag plus less
ability to lubricate the synchroniser cone during shifting. 1980s
Japanese 5 speed transaxles had the same issue and used ATF to improve
gear shifting.

ATF will likely have detergents in it so may stir up all that brass
sludge which accumulates in the OD cavities in an old gearbox.