[Healeys] Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 ...

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Mon May 9 08:30:19 MDT 2016

I'm with Mike on this one.
It's about the flat tappet cam lubrication issues.
What's the most worn out thing in any Healey engine? Cam & camfollowers.
Always. Always has been.
Me? Penrite HPR40 or HPR50.
Look at the ZDDP numbers.
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=5
No affiliation, no financial interest.
No oil wars, just look at the ZDDP numbers.
And the Denis Welch gun drilled camshafts with oil holes in each lobe also help immensely.
But if you have a factory solid camshaft, then you need to look at ZDDP numbers first. Works for me.
"DOUBLE LAYER of engine wear protection with FULL ZINC (approx. 1500 ppm)"
Your cam life may vary...
Best
Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com