[Healeys] more Cuban Chrome

Hap Polk happolk at cox.net
Wed Mar 16 14:27:17 MDT 2016

Avoiding being political, but just stating facts: The US embargo of Cuba has
very little to do with the availability of consumer and car restoration
goods in Cuba. The reason Cubans do not have access to Healey parts is
because 1) Cuba generates very little foreign exchange, and 2) the Cuban
government prevents its citizens from both generating and using foreign
exchange. Cuban citizens don't earn enough to buy and are prohibited from
buying foreign goods direct. The UK, Canada, Australia, and Cuban nationals
living in Mexico, Latin American countries and most others have the ability
to sell foreign made items to Cubans. But the Cubans don't have enough money
to buy and almost no foreign exchange capability and no permission to
import. This is the result of the Cuban government policies, not the US's
mostly ineffectual embargo, we being practically the only country partially
enforcing it.

The Cuban Chrome program blames the US embargo for their difficulties. It
also failed to reveal that the Cuban automobile enthusiasts depicted are
among the most economically successful Cubans outside the political class. I
assume these distortions and half-truths were necessary to get Cuban
government permission to film. Most Cubans couldn't even dream of restoring
a car, such as a Healey for fun. The parts prices paid for the green Pontiac
each exceeded the average Cuban's monthly gross wages.