[Healeys] Fix for overdrive operating shaft oil leak

Steven Kingsbury airtightproductions at icloud.com
Sun Jul 31 10:32:04 MDT 2016

Noel,

So before I got to testing the electrical connections, I cleaned every wire and connector. Sixty plus years of driving can create quite a mess as you can imagine. I also noticed some of the wires we flattened out and look like they've gotten a bit hot. With all connectors exposed and cleaned, I drove the car down to the shop where I have a mechanic friend who helps me. On the way, I thought what the heck, let's give her a go. I throw the switch, hear a loud click and damn, the car goes in to overdrive. It slips a bit of in and out, so I flip off the switch and then try it again. This time it goes in and stays in. As I get to my mechanics' place, I take it out of overdrive and discover my mechanic has closed up early and gone home. So back on the road I try it again and sure enough, everything works!
Before I button everything up, I'm going to wrap some insulation around the wires as what's there is pretty weak and since it's lying right on top of bare metal, why temp a flow away from where it should go and keep all that current in the wires. I'm also going to double check the tightness and cleanliness of every connector, but I actually think this is going to work! If it doesn't, I'll bridge the centrifugal switch as your mates and you have done, but I'm hoping I've solved the problem.
We'll see, but also the two o-rings is the way to go as I haven't leaked a drop from that location since I've put it back together. Good luck with your eBay find and here's to more years of happy motoring!
Steven