[Healeys] Trunk/boot lip rivets

Andy Thorp bce257 at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Jan 27 16:40:05 MST 2016

Thanks to everyone who replied with pics and ideas for this job.

I ended up modifying a G clamp similar to one somebody sent pics of and it worked very well. It was a bit clumsy to use but once I got the hang of getting the metal clamped up fully first it was relatively straightforward. The important features are having about 1 1/4" narrow rod that goes up inside the shroud lip and the same coming down from the top and fixed so it can't rotate. The RHS was a bit overkill in hindsight.

The rivets I had were 1/4" long A125F0250A from rivetsonline.com and if I were to do the job again I'd probably go with 3/8" long given that some of the rivet gets squashed into the [now] slightly oversize holes. The amount of force required to set the rivets is no more than is required to tighten up a G clamp firmly on a piece of metal so it isn't really much effort once the tool is made.

Next job, painting.

Cheers,
Andy.

[I sent this with some zipped pics attached but it may have been too big, I can send individually if anyone would like them]