[Healeys] Mike Salter. Bronze guides

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 09:07:08 MST 2016

I think the 'trick' is to ream extra clearance in the guides (esp. the exhaust). We didn't give specific instructions to the guy who built my head, but he is a race engine builder and probably knew to do this.

Or maybe I just got lucky.

Bob

I have used bronze valve guides and have always had trouble with them, I've made them work but it's always been a hassle. I don't do it anymore.

Cheers, Henry Morrison, Albuquerque, NM

Sure wish I'd read that article before I put 110K miles--still going strong--on my BJ8 with stock iron head and bronze valve guides.

Bob

Great article and sleuth work on figuring out why bronze guides and cast iron heads are a bad idea in this month's Healey Marque Magazine. Love the technical jargon, ie all black and yucky. Good job explaining all the technical stuff.
Cheers

Mr. Ira Erbs
Portland,OR