[Healeys] BN4LS72623

Peter Dzwig pdzwig at summaventures.com
Tue Jan 19 16:22:54 MST 2016

Ira,

I think that it probably isn't possible to provide an exact date without knowing
the detailed build rates for the individual months *and* the corresponding
chassis/engine numbers. The only place that holds those sort of details is BMIHT.

According to Clausager 72623 is a mid-production number. It almost certainly
isn't a Longbridge car as the highest known chassis number (according to him) is
50759.

Here's a stab at the date: the entire second batch of Abingdon cars (the
late-'58/early-'59 batch) ran to some 8806, going by chassis numbers. Yours
would then be 3663 into the run (5143 from the end of production).

On the basis of six months production run, about 1470 cars were produced on
average per month. This would suggest that your car would have bsuggest that it
was built towards the end of November.

BUT you have to take into account ramp-up/ramp-down in production (in September
and March) and also the fact that the plant wouldn't have produced much over
Christmas/New Year; and that in the immediate run-up to Christmas production
would probably have at least slowed. This means that production profile would
have risen between September and November, falling back in December and then
going back to higher levels in January and February before tailing off in March
59. What we don't know is the actual extent of the variation in production. On
this basis it might appear reasonable to suggest that your car may have been
produced between the last couple of weeks in November and Christmas'58.

You could cross-guesstimate the month by taking the date of first registration
in the US and subtracting two or three months which would probably approximate
the time between roll-out from the shop to arrival in the US. The time would
vary, of course, depending on where it was delivered to and at what point the
then-current US rules required it to be registered (e.g. on first arrival in the
US, on delivery to the dealer, on sale etc.).

Sorry not to be more helpful,

Peter