[Healeys] Leaky Steering Box (NOT from seal)

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 05:27:45 MST 2016

Thanks, Bob.  We were concerned about sealant changing the pre-load, but
the steering seems fine.  I put a very thin smear of Permatex Aviation
Form-A-Gasket on the shims, and my theory was tightening the bolts would
squeeze all but a very thin layer of the sealant out from under the
shims and it wouldn't affect the pre-load.  Of course, that means a
small amount of sealant would enter the box, but I'm hoping it doesn't
cause any problems (BTW, I used the sealant on the BN2's box, it's the
BJ8's box that started leaking 'suddenly').

It just occurred to me that over 190K miles or so maybe the load on the
plate caused it to 'bulge' out a little, causing the leak?

Bob