[Healeys] Refinish steering wheel

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat Jan 2 03:17:28 MST 2016

Mike,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and work method. Very informative.

I have also noticed that Moto-Lita is not to precise in fitting the
rivets, especially at the rear where they (and the holes in the wood)
can be very badly finished.

I do not think that steering wheels were ever finished by proper French
polishing (shellac/ethanol mixture rubbed on with a pad, using a few
drops of raw linseed oil to prevent sticking of the pad). Although it
will give a superior finish (very high gloss), it is a very laborious
process and it would not be resistant against moisture from e.g. sweaty
hands.
May be a similar process was used but I suspect the manufacturers
claimed a lacquered steering wheel to be French polished as the finish
looked a bit like it.

I am surprised you use ammonia and bleach on the wood. I have always
avoided that in fear of damaging the glue in the laminate.

Cheers,
Kees Oudesluijs