[Healeys] Vanishing Brake Fluid

R. Price Lindsay 050.rpl at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 14:36:05 MST 2016

After finding my brake reservoir empty of fluid a few months ago and checking all the lines and connections which were sound, I sent my servo to be rebuilt.  The repair shop told me there was fuel in the servo causing the gaskets to dry out and leak.  OK, they rebuilt it, gave me a check valve, sent it back, I installed it with the new valve and I bled the system.  I’ve had it out on a few local runs, maybe 50 miles or so.  Oddly, on my last trip, I smelled something like anti freeze escaping but the system is full.

I just checked the brake reservoir and it’s about 20% down.  So I rechecked all of the lines and connections and I couldn’t find any leaks - everything is dry.

Should I expect some loss of fluid when the servo is newly installed, the system is fully bled and I have a strong petal?  Is there a “mysterious place” that brake fluid goes not to be detected?  I’ve heard that the master cylinder could cause such an issue but I don’t see any fluid around it or the connections and how much fluid could it hold?

Thank you for your help.

Price Lindsay
67 BJ8