[Healeys] get a load of this one..

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat Feb 20 04:47:30 MST 2016

In the late sixties compulsory crash tests, amongst others, were
introduced all over the world which meant that some cars with a separate
chassis could not comply or economically made to comply with the set
standards. Also the old engine design did not allow better emission
values together with sufficient power. It would have meant a complete
redesign. This led to the intended successor of the Austin Healey 3000,
the Healey designed Jensen-Healey, based on Vauxhall Viva HC/GM
underpinnings, which was seriously compromised by the hurry of Kjell
Qvale (the main importer of Austin-Healey in the USA, who had bought
Jensen in the late sixties as they were the builders of the bodies and
frames of the big Austin-Healey's) to put the car in production.
Sadly they f****d up in a big way because the Jensen Healey MKI
(1972-1973) was very underdeveloped at the introduction as the Lotus
engine showed serious short comings and the build quality was atrocious.
The much better finished MkII introduced in late 1973 dealt with most of
the earlier short comings and was a good piece of kit. By then it was
however to late to restore confidence to the public and the story ended
in 1975/1976.
Lighter at 970kg, than the big Healey with similar power (144HP, which
could simply be increased to around 160HP and if you went all the way to
250+HP), it had better performance, comfort, ride, road holding/handling
and had very low emission values.
The looks are a bit of an acquired taste to put it mildly, the interior
is bland, but the under bonnet looks are terrific. It was the sole
reason I bought my Jensen-Healey MkII.
Kees Oudesluijs