[Healeys] Washer question

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 14 10:49:10 MST 2016

Hi Simon:

Here is something that some of us have done here to eliminate oil seepage from the centre and rear tappet covers on the 6 cyl. Healey engine.  We discovered a Subaru part that works perfectly – “seal washer rocker cover” – P/N 812764110.  Any Subaru dealer should have it, or could get it for you.  They come 5 to a packet at approx. $2.00 each over here.  I’m not entirely certain of availability in the UK, but they should be available on-line.  If not, and you wish to try them, I’ll simply send them to you.  It would be no problem I’ve owned Subaru’s for many years – currently a new Outback, and the dealer is close to me.

Only 2 per engine are needed – the front tappet cover / generator mounting bracket uses a different system.  I have stayed with the cork gasket – if properly installed they are oil tight.  (There is a rubber version available – used on the MGB engine that fits the Healey). Be cautious to not overtighten the 2 centre mounting bolts – the covers are not supported in the centre area and can distort.

I’ve no experience with the system that you were sent, nor have I talked to anyone that has used it.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb