[Healeys] Gas Gauge

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 18:46:26 MST 2016

Hi Reinhart,
No, if your gauge reads normally, except it never reads below 1/4 of a tank, then it's usually because the sender is the wrong way around. The float needs to sit in the matching valley in the tank. The measuring point on the float is the Centre on a vertical plane. If the bottom of the float sits on the flat bottom of the tank, then the gauge can't ever read less than 1/4, even if the tank is empty, because the Centre line of the float is 1/2 inch or so from the bottom of the tank.
The bottom of the float needs to sit below the tank floor (I.e. In the valley) in order for the Centre line of the float (on the vertical plane) to be level with the bottom of tank, and read empty on the gauge.
Usually, if all else reads correctly, but it never reads below 1/4, it's because the sender is around the wrong way, and the sender float isn't sitting in the valley.
Can't help explain why yours reads empty when it's full, but full when it's 3/4.
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone