[Healeys] Dynamator comments - misc

michael.salter at gmail.com michael.salter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 18:42:32 MST 2016

Now there os a man with an appreciation of quality....Bravo Andy.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 8:07 PM -0500, "Austin Healeys List" <austinhealeyslist at gmail.com> wrote:

Not sure I can agree with you that the ACR alternators are reliable
Kees, at least not when compared to other options out there. Google
Denso Alternator for a much better solution than an ACR Lucas.

I spent a short period at an auto sparky shop and got quite good at
overhauling ACR alternators. A common issue is that the indicator lamp
is the ballast for the field coil winding when the engine is off and
when the bulb burns out they only (and randomly) charge after being
revved very fast as there is no field current. Mounting lug breakage
is is common from constant fan belt vibration. Then the diode block is
of very economical manufacture and it is perfectly normal to have one
or two diodes open circuit after a few years, then there is the weird
axial brush arrangement where one brush wears out quickly and the
other digs a hole in the copper, and then there is the over-voltage
device that is supposed to protect the regulator but more often fails
itself... Typical 1970s UK quality- good enough to get them out of the
dealership door and then go on to provide years of business for the
repair industry.

Actually that aside, the biggest bug about them is that they whine
annoyingly when under load. Ugh. I'm a big fan of old cars making the
right sounds and smells so hearing that distinctive noise emanating
from under the bonnet of an otherwise nicely restored classic car
doesn't really work for me. Give me the gentle 'donk-dunk' of the
generator reg points closing and opening any day.

Andy.

On 12/27/16, Oudesluys  wrote:
> Steve,
> The old Lucas 16 ACR/18ACR/LR100 alternator as fitted to most British
> and quite a few other cars in the late 60's-90's is a good rugged
> alternative. So is the AC Delco DN460 which was fitted to
> Vauxhall/Bedford/Jensen-Healey cars. The max. output is about 35A and
> the output when idling is very reasonable. They show up NOS in fairly
> large numbers, usually costing between $25 and $75 over here and seldom
> give trouble. However there are a few new cheap imitations around!!!!
> Could also be found used in scrap yards with British cars. Saab and I
> think Volvo fitted Lucas as well. Opel, Vauxhall, small Chevrolets and
> other small GM cars generally had the AC Delco unit. They are quite
> trouble free and no regulator box is needed. It is rather seldom that
> the diodes give up unless there is a major electrical fault in the car
> itself and the only wear will be in the brushes and front bearing after
> many many miles. If they go wrong they are imminently repairable.
> Why fitting an original generator Look-a-Like (more or less) alternator
> that is expensive and often troublesome? Show your mods, don't hide them.
> I have heard of the problems several people had with them, which was
> confirmed by Joseph's comment.
> Kees Oudesluijs
>

> Op 27-12-2016 om 2:39 schreef Steve B. Gerow:
>> Kees -
>> We went with the DynamAtors because they're the most inexpensive. Around
>> $250. USD including shipping.
>>
>> The US-made DynamOtor is >3x that expensive but may be better built - they
>> have been in business for many years.
>>
>> The former advises using your stock pulley/fan setup, rather than the
>> usual smaller (higher speed) alternator pulley. This may also have
>> something to do with overheating and low-output problems.
>>
>> When I recommended them, I had no idea of the high percentage of problems
>> encountered by Josef -- my friends and I will be watching these very
>> carefully, before trusting them to long trips.

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/austinhealeyslist@gmail.com

Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums