[Healeys] Mount a coil on an alternator.

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat Dec 24 02:38:41 MST 2016

The main reason for changing to an alternator is that it produces a
high(ish) charging current starting at low speeds, usually around 35A
(e.g. Lucas 100). Therefore the total output is higher. Especially if
you drive the car with headlights on all the time and/or have an
electric radiator fan, high power radio etc. you are better of with an
alternator. It also is easier to maintain thus more reliable than a
generator plus regulator.
Most generators produce 20-25A max. at high speed but will barely cope
as they do not charge much if at all at low speeds.
Kees Oudesluijs