[Healeys] Starting a BJ8

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Dec 23 20:15:36 MST 2016

Starting to see a pattern here: original bushes need pre-oiling, which can be forgotten or 'overlooked' by sloppy mechanics; smart guy gets idea to pre-oil bushes and comes up with clever name ('Oilite'), and fortunes get made.

I posted this to the Forum, but don't recall if I posted it here (paraphrased): I dutifully added oil to the oiling port on a Lucas generator for years. I was going to install new bearings and brushes to my generator as preventative maintenance, but was aghast to see when I disassembled the unit that the field coil insulation--indeed, the whole inside of the generator--had gotten oil-soaked. Because a failed generator can strand you--and they're too cumbersome and expensive to carry a spare--I opted to have the generator rebuilt by a 'pro,' but as I perused the drawing of the generator I saw that there should have been a felt disc between the hole and the bush, and mine was missing so I was dutifully dumping oil into an electrical device for years. It made an unholy mess, but the generator hung in there for 120K miles or so.