[Healeys] Starting a BJ8

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Fri Dec 23 10:40:51 MST 2016

All this talk about adding oil to "Oilite" bushings, I would like to convey info that John at Sports N Classics sent me in response to a question of oil in "Oilite" bearings of sintered bronze.  Sports N Classics is where I bought the pilot bushing for the end of the crank shaft from.

"Quote":
Mike
We have never found it necessary to add additional oil to an Oilite bushing. We have been supplying replacement parts for Healey's since the early 1970's and have never had an issue with quality parts. Whenever when we restore Healey's we use as many NOS parts as possible. Over the past 15 years there has been an influx of inferior reproductions making it more difficult. Since we us many of the parts we sell we have been able to eliminate inferior parts.
Hope this helps you out
John"End Quote"

Further, a quote from the Oilite catalog in the technical section states:
"Standard Oilite bearings are impregnated with a highly refined mineral oil to ISO VG (SAE 30) having a high viscosity index and containing anti-oxident, anti-rust and defoamant additives."
Maybe it depends on where you buy your bushings from, but if it is a true "Oilite" bushing, no oiling is necessary.

Mike MacLean