[Healeys] Pertronix wiring

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 12:42:49 MST 2016

Sent to a Lister, passing on to the List:

The white/black wire from the coil to the Trusty Cutoff Switch
(TCS)--yeah, I was being sarcastic because I know they can be
problematic--is not even necessary in a standard points setup.  It only
provides an alternative path to ground through the TCS so that when the
TCS is in the off/don't run position the coil is constantly grounded and
cannot produce a spark.  A coil--which is in effect a transformer--will
only produce a spark when the current flow though the coil is
interrupted; hence 'breaker points' (or, as in the case of Pertronix or
other electronic ignition, 'breakerless').   A Pertronix 'breaks' the
circuit upstream of the points, but it still requires a path to ground
so the current can flow when the transistor is on; the white/black wire
from the coil can provide a convenient path to ground and retain the
'theft preventative' aspect of the TCS.

In a standard points setup, the TCS breaks the connection from the
battery to ground in the OFF position, rendering the starter and all
other electrical components inoperative, but it also connects the coil
to ground, rendering the coil unable to produce a spark since the path
to ground cannot be broken.  The Pertronix requires a separate path to
ground, and the white/black wire can be used for this since, yep, it's
already a patch to ground.  I'm working from memory--my car is at my
folks'--but I think all you have to do is move the white/black wire on
the TCS to the same terminal--the large one--that connects the battery
to ground (but it's a larger terminal by necessity so you'll need to put
a larger terminal on the wire).   Then, not only will the battery be
disconnected from ground in the OFF position, but the coil will be too.

On the points setup, you have 3 wires on the coil: one from the current
source--the ignition switch--and 2 to ground; one path is through the
points, and the other--the white/black--to the TCS. With the Pertronix
setup you only need 2 wires: one from the Pertronix output and one to
ground (see the schematic on the Pertronix site for which Kees provided
a link).  The white/black wire is already there; why not use it?

On a positive ground car, you want the 'SW' or '-' terminal to be wired
to the source of the current; in a points setup this is a direct
connection to the ignition switch (hence 'SW'), but in a Pertronix setup
it will be the output from the Pertronix.  The 'CB' (Circuit Breaker ==
points) or '+' will be a path to ground, either through the points or
through a separate, 'dedicated' wire, of which the white/black wire is
ideal.  Note if the terminal is marked with '-' and '+' it's intuitive
that the '+' should go to ground, one way or another.

One weakness in the original Pertronix is if the unit is forward
biased--i.e. 'on'--current will flow continuously and the unit will get
fried in a couple minutes.  So, never leave your ignition switch in the
'run' position when the engine isn't running; with a points system you
could fry your coil, with Pertronix you might fry both the coil AND the
Pertronix.

Note the car should run with the coil connected backwards, but I won't
produce as strong a spark.