[Healeys] Pertronix wiring

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 09:32:14 MST 2016

re: "... I don't think a connection between the coil and chassies is a
good idea ..."

Not only is it a good idea, it is required for a Pertronix
installation.  A points system grounds the coil to the
chassis--indirectly--through the points, the 'little “boot lace” wire,'
the distributor body and the engine.   To use the ubiquitous water
analogy, the points are 'downstream' of the coil, and the grounding is
necessary to allow current to flow through the primary winding of the
coil when the points are closed.  A Pertronix switches current
'upstream' of the coil; so the coil has to be grounded with a separate
wire which passes current to ground (the chassis).

In a points system, the coil is 'permanently' grounded by our friend the
Trusty Cutoff Switch in the boot when the switch is in the 'OFF' (don't
run) position.   You can retain this 'anti-theft feature' with a
Pertronix by using the wire from the coil to the cutoff switch--white
with black trace IIRC--and re-wiring the switch so that the coil is NOT
grounded when the switch is in the 'OFF' position.   This will prevent
current flow through the coil regardless of whether the Pertronix is in
the on or off state. This only requires knowledge of which terminal is
which on the switch, and a couple of the terminals on the wiring have to
be replaced since the terminals on the switch are different sizes. Note
you have to move the wire on the coil as well (which should instigate
the '+/-' vs. 'SW/BAT(?)' coil markings discussion ;)

As for the 'boot lace' wire inside the distributor, in theory it MAY not
be needed, as the Pertronix is, in effect, a SPST (single-pole,
single-throw) switch, and the unit is solid state (duh--that's why we
like them), but the transistors etc. in the Pertronix probably need a
ground reference provided through the base of the unit.  I'd leave it in.

Cheers,

Bob