[Healeys] Healey Starting procedure.

editorgary at aol.com editorgary at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 22:51:44 MST 2016

My nephew has just recently acquired a very nice BJ8 which he imported from
the US to France. Some of you may recall being asked for and kindly giving
advice re vendors and cars etc.

Now, the car is safely tucked up in a garage in Paris and all is well......

Except.....except - there's always an "except" or a "but" isn't there? -
except, it doesn't really like starting. It needed a new battery which we'd
been told to expect but, even with that, it's a little slow to fire up.

10+/- attempts my nephew said.

Now, I'm in England; the car's in France and my nephew would be the first to
admit that he's never been a mechanic or owned a car remotely like a 3000.
So, it's very likely that his technique needs polish!

(The fuel pump works; fuel get to the carbs. The ignition seems good and
will soon be better (in my own humble opinion) with a Pertronix EI and a
"Flamethrower"(?) coil.

One thing no one else mentioned...

Put the transmission in neutral and let out the clutch. Trying to start the car in gear with the clutch in means you're spinning a bunch of stuff in there that is just added inertia.

Before anything else, by inspection, check out whether the choke cable is doing what it's supposed to do when fully engaged and then fully releasing. Bet you didn't know that you're supposed to twist it a quarter turn to release it. There is a tiny crescent-shaped detente in the choke knob apparatus (smallest part in the entire car) that keeps the choke engaged, then releases when turned 90 degrees.

Then press  the start button but without pushing on the gas. Leave the choke out until the engine starts to run, then push it in halfway and leave it there until the engine is warmed up.

If this doesn't work easily and promptly, then you've got another problem  -- fire (spark), fuel, or airflow.