[Healeys] Clutch-related noise

michael.salter at gmail.com michael.salter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 11:21:05 MST 2016

Bob is correct.

Most slave cylinders have that light spring in them to ensure that the release bearing rests lightly on the pressure plate when the clutch pedal is released because, as Bob figured, if the bearing moves too far away from the pressure plate the effective pedal movement is decreased.

Often when clutches will not release fully the cause is the missing slave cylinder spring.

Michael S

BN1 #174

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 12:58 PM -0500, "Bob Spidell" <bspidell at comcast.net> wrote:

Michael has a Toyota 5-speed.

Anyways, my dad and I were discussing how to keep the graphite disk-type TO 'bearing' from wearing as much.  He suggested putting a return spring from the slave cylinder to the clutch fork, but I thought that would increase pedal travel too much as the cylinder push rod would have to travel farther to overcome the larger gap between the bearing and the clutch cover.  Note this is theoretical, I decided not to do it; we reused a graphite bearing with over 100K miles as it had plenty 'meat' on it (but I'm in the habit of putting the gearbox in neutral at every stop--the downside being possibly greater wear on the pilot bush and input shaft)

The roller release bearing can be found here:

https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/Clutch/RELEASE-BEARING-BALL-RACE.aspx
Cheers,
Bob