[Healeys] Oil pressure in a BJ8

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 04:53:09 MDT 2016

Hi all,
Recently someone asked about oil pressures, and the oil being used.

My BJ8 engine was totally rebuilt in 1998.
Today, my wife and I went for a drive up the M1 motorway and I kept an eye on oil pressure. Water temp was 185 degrees all the time. Air temp was ~22 degrees Celcius.
Lovely day for a drive to the Hunter Valley!

Hot idle. After 70 minutes at ~70 mph, idle @ 850 - 900rpm = 40 lbs.
Oil pressure at 2,000 rpm hot driving = 50 lbs
3,000 - 5,000 rpm hot oil pressure = 60 lbs.
My wife said we wouldn't make our 3rd wedding anniversary if I pulled 6,000 in overdrive top..... ;-)
Denis Welch oil pump.
Fresh Penrite HPR 40 oil and filter last weekend.
Draw your own conclusions. Mine are:
the thermostat is perfect, and
so is the oil pressure relief valve.
Best