[Healeys] Holes in Painted Surface - most important points

John Spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 13 01:21:38 MDT 2016

I have not been following this thread very closely. My apologies if these
points have been mentioned before.

1. Use 135 degree metal drill bits. 118 degree wood bits tend to walk on
metal.

2. Be sure the bits are sharp! Use a new one or a properly sharpened bit.
Buy a “Drill Doctor” if you want consistently sharp bits. When I got mine, I
went nuts and sharpened all of my bits.

3. Use the best drill speed for the material. Optimal speeds vary with the
material being penetrated. Mild steel likes a medium speed.

John Spaur

´62 BT7