[Healeys] To her for a drive

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Sat Sep 5 20:51:50 MDT 2015

     I was having a problem with the ethanol blend (10%) of gasoline here in CA. It was gumming up the fuel system in my Bugeye if I left the car for a couple of months without starting it up.  It would not run.  I thought I was going to have to put a new fuel tank in it.  You can't leave ethanol laced gasoline in the car for a couple of months and expect it to start right up.  I was having the same problem with my Harley Davidson motorcycle.
     I drained the tank of the Bugeye and the motorcycle.  I went to a gas station about 15 miles from home that has 100 octane gasoline at the pump that contains no ethanol and bought 5 gallons worth at $8 per gallon.  I came home and put 4 gallons in the tank of the Bugeye and after a few fits and coughs the engine started and ran great.  I don't think the octane had anything to do with it.  It's just the fact it was pure gasoline.  I ran around for about an hour with the new fuel to get it through the entire fuel system and parked the car back in the garage.  Now I can leave it for a couple of years if I want to and it should start right up.  The ethanol gas is no good after 4 to 6 weeks.  The Harley got a gallon of the high octane ethanol free gas.  I got it running and I simply have to take a ride on it once a week to keep the fuel system clean with any gumming up.  Just like your commuter car.  As long as you are using it everyday and ethanol gas is constantly flowing through it, the car will run fine.  Very few places have this ethanol free gas at the pump here in California.  Just a few that caters to the off road/boat crowd.Mike MacLean