[Healeys] head gaskets

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Thu Oct 29 21:09:14 MDT 2015

Gary,
I've had a chronic problem keeping head gaskets in my 2660. A standard gasket would last a couple months before it burned in two between #2 and #3 cylinders. I bought a solid copper gasket and it solved the burn through problem, but it was impossible to seal the oil and water passages so I've long had massive oil leaks and oil contaminating the coolant. I've tried o-ringing the oil and water passages which helped somewhat but didn't last. I recently experienced a burned piston and so am rebuilding the engine. (I drove it  as long as I could before pulling the engine.) The machinist who milled the top of the block said that it resembled a ski jump. The block was low on one corner and he had to take 0.012" off of it to make it flat. That explains a lot. It also displayed very poor workmanship by the last machine shop having a very heavy and irregular tool pattern that militated against gasket sealing.
In researching theoretical fixes for head gasket problems I took to the internet and read up on the new technology which is the MLS gasket. Multi Layer Steel gaskets consist of three layers of steel with their outer faces coated with a resilient teflon layer that is the actual sealing medium. The three layers of steel can slide over each other to a certain extent allowing the head and block to expand differentially in relation to one another without stressing or damaging the gasket. The resilient layer seals and fills unevenness in the mating surfaces. in order to work the mating surfaces have to be machined very smooth (to a maximum roughness average (RA) of 60). Fortunately that is the standard for most engines these days anyway and is easily done. I'm in the middle of the rebuild now and I've purchased an MLS gasket from Denis Welch Motorsport. They claim it solves the gasket leakage problems that are so common on the 4 cylinder and it can be reused twice in most cases. With a smooth flat engine block, a modern high tech gasket and a good rebuilt cylinder head (Needs a crack repair of course.) I'm hoping to see a lot of miles disappearing in my rear view mirrors again soon. And maybe even gain a little control my oil consumption.
Bill Lawrence