[Healeys] Off topic: Trivia

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Oct 24 09:52:04 MDT 2015

One of the aviation magazines I subscribe to had an article about new
technologies in the field.  There was mention of a company that was
doing 'big data' analysis on engine problems and it noted--on engines
equipped with multi-cylinder EGT/CHT monitors--the following could occur:

"... the case of a failing exhaust valve that typically shows up as a
temperature spike in a single cylinder that occurs once per minute (the
frequency at which a valve rotates)."

I think auto engine valves rotate as well; it might be possible that an
intermittent, but regular miss or engine anomaly could be explained by this.

Back to our regular programming.