[Healeys] Stainless exhaust manifold repair

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 10:16:27 MST 2015

Well, it all turned out alright in the end.........I think.

There is a big workshop about 100 yards from my house. They fix big heavy
duty stuff....combines, tractors etc. (They were fixing up a fascinating
thing when I went round..a massive power driven auger for drilling pilings.
Two sections, wheeled and tracked......bit like a WW2 armoured half track).
(Did you know that the Czech made half track used by the Wehrmacht in WW2
was so similar in profile to the one manufactured in the USA and used
solely, I think, by the Americans that all soldiers on both sides tended to
shoot at every half track they saw. Just in case as it were!)

Anyhow, end of digressions. When I asked "Could you put a blob of weld on
the thin section?", they suggested that they simply put the manifold on a
totally flat section of thick metal and simply hammer the thing down at the
corner so it sits flat on the gasket. BIG man with a fairly big hammer and a
good eye...2 minutes. Job done, as we say. No charge, refused to take a
penny.

Why didn't I think of that!?!

Simon