[Healeys] Coolant change

David Masucci drmasucci at comcast.net
Thu Nov 5 11:27:15 MST 2015

I think you're lubricating the seal that keeps the water away from the bearing...and from your driveway.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original message --------From: Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net> Date: 11/5/2015  12:51 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Daniel White <healeydan at wowway.com> Cc: healeys <Healeys at autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Coolant change
Oh boy!  A 'hot' (pun intended) topic right up there with oil and tires ;)

'Coolant'--to my pedantic eye--is a mixture of water and antifreeze.  The antifreeze is mostly ethylene glycol--some use propylene glycol, which is non-toxic but slightly less efficient--with some pump lubricant* and corrosion inhibitor.  The corrosion inhibitor is a mild acid that gets 'used up' over time:

http://www.google.com/patents/US6096236
Usually, coolant life is expressed in miles; modern formulations can go over 100K miles before recommended change-out, but since our Healeys aren't going to be driven that much time becomes the issue (iron engines will rust just sitting).  I would say change it every 5 years or so (which might only be a few thousand miles of driving for some owners).

I believe the 'waterless' coolants are mostly propylene glycol and are quite a bit more expensive than ethylene glycol formulations.  You'd still need to change it out when the corrosion inhibitors get used up; IMO it's a gimmick.

Bob

* it just occurred to me that the only thing that needs lubricating in a water pump is the bearings, but the last thing you want in the bearings is water.  Am I missing something?