[Healeys] Gearbox oil

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Tue May 26 18:14:36 MDT 2015

I am pretty sure that Redline MT 90, and similar transmission oils
correspond in viscosity to that of SAE 30.  When our cars were made there
were not, to my knowledge, oils intended to be used specifically for manual
transmissions and in any case we wound up with the specification that 30
weight engine oil be used in gearboxes.  )Maybe that is the best product
that had been developed and maybe it was simply considered to be convenient
to have the same product in both engine and gearbox, or both/)

I don't know when detergent oils were first developed but I don't recall
that they were commonly talked about or recommended "back in the day".  And
whether because detergent oils tend to keep stuff in suspension or because
they contain less oil by volume than non-detergent oils, or both, they are
usually not recommended for transmissions,.

In any case oils have changed drastically from the early days of motor cars
and I think that the best oils for us to now use in our transmissions,
whether OD nor, are those specifically intended for them such as MTL, MT 90
and like products.  I know from experience that MT90 gives me better/faster
shifting.

End of rant--Michael Oritt