[Healeys] Fwd: Interesting Healey

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Sat Mar 21 16:46:20 MDT 2015

G’day

Some answers below in red.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia

From: Roger Moment [mailto:Rmoment at comcast.net]
Sent: Sunday, 22 March 2015 1:57 AM
To: Randy Hicks
Cc: Pat Quinn
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Healeys] Interesting Healey

Silverstone side air vents were oblong, with rounded ends. These look like 1954 vintage Buick portholes (that’s what we all called them back then).  Also, whatever car they’re from they look like they’re installed backwards – they should be exiting to the rear .  The way they are now they would force air into the engine bay, rather than help hot air exit.

Note: OAC 1 has the standard 100 body --  This car has a stretched body as used on the 6-cylinder cars.  OAC 1 also had/has a 100S engine in it.   (No OAC 1 was originally fitted with a 100 engine and later fitted with a C-Series six-cylinder by the DHMC. ONX 113 has the 100S engine) Some other observations:

1)  The quarter vent windows look like ones taken from a  BJ7/BJ8 – curve doesn’t match the windshield side profile.  Also, main window has the shape of one from a BJ7 or BJ8.

2)  I highly doubt they would have put roll-up windows into a 100-Six prototype.

3)  door lock is located way down on the door.  A lock would be  more likely up by the handle.

4)  the door push button looks like one from a boot lid. It is very familiar to me, but I can’t place what car I’ve seen these on.

5)  Pat’s BN3 has the standard 100 body at the nose – not the later 6-cylinder shroud.  PAT – question – in looking at photos of your engine it has the later 6-port head. This must have been a later engine than the original, or did you just change the head on the original block?? (It still has its original Wolseley six-cylinder engine. Originally it was fitted with an original log head modified to take triple dual throat SUs. The later cylinder head was fitted in the late 1960s by Geoff Price, the Service Manager at the DHMC.)

6)  While there appear to have been 4 BN3s, in Pat Quinn’s write-up it appears that BN3/4 had a later 6-cylinder-size chassis/body. (No! BN3/4 has a special chassis with a bolt-on front subframe and finishes short at the rear to take quarter-elliptic springs like a Sprite. It has elongated 4 cylinder panels (9ins) but remains a two-seater)   BN3/1 was built up using a standard 100 chassis/body, with the engine stuffed in. (Geoff Price advised that it started as a pre-production chassis and was used for all types of experiments prior to being fitted with the six-cylinder)

7) BN3/1 has 100-Six windshield pillars. (The original windscreen on the BN3/1 was a one piece 100 screen, but this was damaged in a cockpit fire and replaced. See attached photo showing DMH and a Sebring 100/6, and behind him is the BN3/1.) What about BN3/4? (Attached photo of BN3/4 showing that it has a standard 100 screen.)

My summary opinion is that this car looks like a built-up kluge of parts and is not an historic Healey.  I haven’t seen photos of the body and chassis plates, which also could shed some light on originality, as I could study the fonts used for stamping the body plate.

Please copy me on any additional info you fellows come up with on the car.

Roger