[Healeys] Cavity paint.

David Lodge emmgeeteecee at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 19 11:12:28 MDT 2015

Hello Jean,

Thanks yet again!  Much sense, as usual.  Yeah, it's me being weird, with my pathological aversion to rust and what it can do to cars!

All the best, D

 ---------- Forwarded
 message ----------
 From: Jean
 Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration at hotmail.com>
 Date: 18 March 2015 at 19:47
 Subject: RE: [Healeys] Cavity paint.
 To: "emmgeeteesee at gmail.com"
 <emmgeeteesee at gmail.com>

 David:
 When you look at how long the sill you removed lasted and
 the fact that people do not drive these cars like they used
 to be driven/used, I would not get overly worried about the
 inner parts of the sills, other than scuffing them with 3M
 red pads and then apply a good coat or two of self-etching
 primer, better primer than what is already on it and then
 weld and seal everything up. I would not go to the expense
 of POR-15 although it is very good and would last for a
 whole lot longer than primer.
 I was in an accident with my own Austin-Healey about 15
 years back and had to remove one of the sill when I fixed
 the car, it had been done 10 years previous and I had done
 the 2 coats of primer as I explained above and there was no
 signs of rust at all. I only drive my car in summer months
 in good weather and rain as well.

 Jean

 > Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 00:55:55 +0000
 > From: emmgeeteecee at yahoo.co.uk
 > To: healeys at autox.team.net
 > Subject: [Healeys] Cavity paint.
 >
 > Just about to throw myself into welding up the inner
 and outer sills on one side and it occurs to me that there
 should be something more substantial than a primer coating,
 especially on the inner surfaces (A couple of drain holes
 might not go amiss either, judging by the veritable
 avalanche of rust that came tumbling out of the deep end of
 the old one!).  Does anyone have any recommendations, as the
 selection appears to be truly mind-boggling - POR-15,
 RustBullet, and the stuff that Eastwood sells all spring to
 mind.  Thanks and greetings to all.