[Healeys] new tyres

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Mar 17 06:43:36 MDT 2015

Well, the tire that blew on me was a pretty old Michelin XZX with plenty of tread left (photos attached).  This happened quite a while before the dangers of old tires began to be discussed on the list.  I'm a believer now in getting rid of them due to age, rather than wear.  Note the damage to the rear fender behind the wheel due to the tread flailing before I could get stopped.

By the way, I had some warning of a problem but wasn't smart enough to figure out what it was.  A slight side-to-side sway developed at low speed, which probably was caused by a delamination of the sidewall.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large