[Healeys] New Tyres

Curtis Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:35:15 MDT 2015

Tim,

How you can up with this decision is beyond me. First of all, the car being
front or rear wheel drive is totally IRRELEVANT.

Reference this article on the PM website on tire myths debunked...

*2. When replacing only two tires
<http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/what-you-need-to-know-when-buying-new-tires-9451125>,
the new ones go on the front... FALSE*

The truth: Rear tires provide stability, and without stability, steering or
braking on a wet or even damp surface might cause a spin. If you have new
tires up front, they will easily disperse water while the half-worn rears
will go surfing: The water will literally lift the worn rear tires off the
road. If you're in a slight corner or on a crowned road, the car will spin
out so fast you won't be able to say, "Oh, fudge!"

There is no "even if" to this one. *Whether you own a front-, rear- or
all-wheel-drive car, truck, or SUV, the tires with the most tread go on the
rear*. Don't believe it? Watch this <http://youtu.be/--Hb5kQCaTg>.

This is just as important with a tire blowout or failure as it is with
hydroplaning.  Better to have a blowout on the front wheels versus the rear.

Drive safe.

Curt