[Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Mar 1 08:16:38 MST 2015

re: "Can anyone guess who the supplier/manufacturer of all these parts was?"

I'm gonna take a WAG it was Moss Motors; who supplied me with two defective pumps (broken shafts). There's more to the story; Moss' technical support man, Michael Grant, went to great lengths to rectify the situation best he could (though he couldn't make up for a foreshortened Healey road trip). Michael was just as frustrated as I was; he has worked with this supplier for years and the story is familiar: the founder of the company, who had supplied quality parts, dropped dead of a heart attack and his successors did not share his concerns for quality and integrity. Michael informed the company of the quality issues and they did nothing; they can apparently keep selling crap and get away with it and, last I heard, there was no other source for the pumps. Michael owns and regularly drives a BJ8, so shares our concerns parts quality.

Another side note: I have talked to other suppliers who deal with many customers who were frustrated by the fact customers bought only on price (yep, Healey owners can be cheap SOBs sometimes). One seller had a NOS bumper for a Big Healey--at the time it was $300--and all his customers complained strenuously about the price and bought cheap aftermarket bumpers which were all but junk.

We all would like first-rate quality at third-world supplier prices, no? But, if we want quality we have to be willing to pony up for it although, I've seen what the cast Al sumps cost and there's no excuse they aren't first-rate.

OTOH, we do have suppliers like Denis Welch who, AFAIK, does supply first-rate kit though at premium prices.

Bob