[Healeys] California Black Plate restoration

Lou G lgalper1 at cox.net
Mon Jun 29 14:16:02 MDT 2015

By all means, keep those Black plates registered.
The new plates will be reflectorized, more characters with smaller type
size, and readily identifiable.
There will definitely be a difference.

The last plate 'restorer' I spoke to told me that he just makes a brand
new reproduction for people that want a restored plate.
The plate looks spot on, with paint color, finish, embossing, edge of
yellow lettering on the black, mounting holes, all look exactly like it
was originally.
If a collector is on the fence, an original black-plate car (not year of
manufacture) is a big, big PLUS.

In California, a year of manufacture plate is another way to get a black
plate on the 63-69 cars -- many people use this to get the plate in use
at the
time of original sale on the vehicle -- cute, and expensive, involving
an extra tag that id's that it is currently registered, attached to the
year of manufacture plate.

In my case, I already was stuck with a blue plate on my 100 for the 40
yrs I have owned the car, so I have sprung for one of the new
personalized Black plates, we'll see if it ever arrives.

Lou
San Diego